Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Out the door...inspirational quote to start your day

GREAT morning beautiful people! Happy Hump Day!!!

"If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help somebody" -Chinese Proverb

Allow me to tell you a quick story: This past week my team and I all adopted a child via our chapel's annual Angel Tree program. As part of the program, we were given "Angels" with a child's name and their Christmas requests. One of the girls from our team went to Target to purchase her angel's gifts and during checkout she began conversing with the clerk about the purpose of the toys she was purchasing. Imagine her surprise when the man exclaimed "Oh my God, you're shopping for my son!!" At first she was in disbelief and thought the gentleman was mistaken until the child's mother, also employed by Target, came over to confirm. They quickly rallied around my girl to help her find the perfect gifts for their son. They thanked her profusely and the mother was almost in tears. While telling her amazing story, my girl admitted that before the encounter she was not in the giving mood. She confessed, "Before I saw the impact of my actions, I was not passionate about getting the gift for my angel. NOW that I've seen what can happen when you give a little bit of yourself, I'll continue to give selflessly of myself and encourage my friends to do the same."

One of my favorite parts about the holiday season is that it becomes so easy to give of yourself to others. Granted, there are opportunities year round but the spirit of giving is stronger as are the initiatives to get others to give. Opportunities to volunteer, to donate, and to generally bless others with your talents are plentiful and I encourage all of you to take advantage of them. Sometimes we become so involved in our own little bubble, that we forget about the struggles of others. Sometimes we become preoccupied with getting a new promotion or buying our first home or upgrading our material things, that we forget how little others have.  Allow yourself to connect with others who are less fortunate than you are.

Do not think that you do not have anything to give. You can give one of the most valuable resources-your time. Sometimes charities have all of the funds they need, and all they need are people willing to give their time. For example, one of my friends volunteered his time to shop for underprivileged children who were given $200 courtesy of their neighborhood's Elk's Lodge. He did not have to give any money, only a few hours of his Saturday morning to an underprivileged child. He confessed "I did not know some people had it so bad. I live in a big house with a nice car and these children live in places that do not even have numbers on their buildings. It was a wake up call for me to count my blessings."   Don't wait for a wake up call to see how helping others can move your spirit, seek out the experience! No matter how little you give, you can make a difference!

If you are successful, recognize that you did not become successful alone. The true test of success is your ability to "reach back" and help others become successful in their own right.

SN: *singing* Tis the season to be jolly, fa la la la la la la la la!!!!!!

Today's song choice: Kanye West-All of the Lights

Love!!!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring