Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, July 23, 2012

For 80s Babies: The 7 C's of People Too Old For The Club Scene

80's babies are the next generation to be too old for clubs. 
Oh, you're an 80's baby and that doesn't apply to you? Cool story bro! 
A few months ago, I went out on a Saturday night. The crowd was "21 & over." For the sake of preserving his anonymity we're gonna call my accomplice "Pepper." Pepper and I were in the same area lookin for a good time so we met up at a club to help some random girl celebrate her birthday. I even "checked-in" on Facebook cuz we're cool 80's babies. We got our drinks and got a few dances in before we both ended up just people watching. My feet started to hurt so I made myself comfy in one of the only seats available. I sat for more time than I danced. Everyone around us is dancing and tryna get chose while Pepper and I had the point-and-laugh session of a lifetime. There was no shortage of big girls twerkin' too hard, old men tryna push up on young girls and pretty girls who didn't wanna sweat their hair out. 
We were having a blast. 
Then it happened. 
It happened and we were caught off guard.
The DJ got on the mic and said  "Whoooaaaa time just went back! Y'all get an extra hour to party!" The whole club erupted with ratchet celebration. They got an extra hour to be ratchet for no extra charge. Pepper and I looked at each other with shock on our faces and we signaled to each other that it was time for us to tap out. It was the 1st time I left a club before it closed without a plan to go to another spot. I felt old. Not only was I past my prime, but I felt it. My ears were ringing, my feet hurt and a headache was starting to set in. I acknowledged that I was outgrowing the club scene and Pepper felt the same way. We left the club smelling like defeat and oldassness. 

I had a repeat of that night this past Saturday when I hung out with my younger cousin who happens to still be in his glory days of undergrad. We started partying around 4pm and we were out until 4am. LISTEN. He had several parties lined up. I wanted to take nap at 8pm. He did not understand my struggle. On Sunday, he's up and ready to go while I'm struggling to remember where I laid my keys. I went thru the whole day feeling tired. I was so tired I left my phone somewhere and I didn't have enough energy to panic about it. I said "I'll look for that MF after I take a nap." 

Before you judge me and think I'm alone in this, here are some signs your ass is ALSO too old for night clubs
1. You Complain. The club scene is the same beast it has always been, but now everything about it irritates you: All DJs play the same music. It's too dark. The women are dressed like hoes. People are smoking. The drinks are too expensive. There are too many people in there. They were sold out of tables. There aren't enough seats. You had to drive around more than once to find a park. The DJ doesn't play enough songs from the late 90s and early 2000s. You keep seeing the same people every time you go out. Give it up boo. 
2. You Calculate. You are too old for the club if you have ever found yourself on the dance floor tryna calculate. You gotta go to work the next day so you're like "If I leave now I can get at least 5 hours of sleep." You don't go "hard" because you don't wanna be tired the next day. Nah potna just take your old ass home LOL! 

3. You Contemplate. After you get there you see a line and you say, "Damn look at that line. Its bout to be a lot of people in there. Ain't no tellin' what could happen. Imma just go home." This is a sign of oldassness. Why? Because when you were 18 and clubbin' you used to stand in line for college night religiously. You used to sneak into clubs. You didn't worry about hoodlums. Self preservation took a back seat to partying with friends. It could have been raining, snowing, hailing, and the bouncer was being a bitch about letting the line move but you NEVER turned around. 
4. You Have to be Convinced. You used to go out just for the sake of going out, but now you gotta have a purpose. You start thinkin' about all the trouble you gotta go thru: Parking, cover charge, lines, thirsty singles, etc. You're the person who stays home unless it is someone's birthday or going away party. You say you're over the nightclub scene but really you can't hang. You would rather sit at home with some friends and play Taboo. Old ass. 

5. You Catnap. Back in your heyday you used to go out to a club at a moments notice. Someone could come to you at 11pm and say "let's go out" and you would go without a problem. They could wait outside while you got dressed. Now you have to decide you're going out early in the day so you can prepare. You gotta squeeze in time for a catnap and prepare yourself mentally. 

6. You're a Smart Consumer. Back in your glory days you had "work" clothes and "party" clothes. You kept the two separate. You can't waste money like that anymore. You got bills to pay. Now you shop for things that can serve a double purpose. Ladies think about dresses we can pair with a blazer to make it work appropriate while the fellas buy button downs in work appropriate colors. 
7. You Can't Bounce Back. Even when your mind thinks you can party like you used to, your body will show your ass the truth. You went out and partied from 10pm to 1am and your ass is exhausted the next day. The next day is entirely unproductive. Fuck sunglasses and Advil you're just not gonna leave the house. You start thinkin' about the times when you could party like crazy and still make it to class. Back in college I used to be able to go out from 11pm-4:30am then shower and make it to work from 5:30-2pm and class from 4-9:45pm. I could do this about 3-4 nights a week and my GPA stayed above 3.5. I barely got any sleep but I was on the scene when it counted. Those were my glory days.  *sigh*

So if you are an 80's baby and you find yourself feeling like the club scene is no longer for you don't be alarmed. You are officially an "old head." Embrace it. There are lounges, happy hours and private birthday parties in suites at the W for you to enjoy. Give it up while you still have your dignity. Let the youngins have their fun. Don't be that old cat in the club tryna show you "still got it." You don't got it. 
 

Twitter: @LegallyRatchet1
Email: TalentedGeneration@gmail.com


38 comments:

Britt said...

All true!

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Thats all I speaks on these innanet streets lol

Anonymous said...

actually there are 6 c's listed...

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Complain, Calculate, Contemplate, Convinced, Catnap, Consumer and Can't all start with the letter C, but I appreciate the constructive criticism :)

Bri said...

Girl....this is my struggle!

I went out recently and was the first mf'er there and the first mf'er to leave...smh. I used to want to show up and show out the parties...couldn't tell me the club didn't open until midnight...and that was early. And #truth on the double duty clothes...halter + blazer = work appropriate - blazer = happy hour/lounge<--okay yeah see that's old right there...not club but a lounge and a place with seats!

Let me go cause this here is truth.com :( I am getting old

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

You aint a real old head until you choose a spot based on the likelihood that you can find a seat! I used to start and end my club visits on the dance floor. Now I start in a seat, jig for a song or two and promptly return to my seat. I MIGHT 2-step for a little while but thassit! lol

LaShunda said...

OMG! This had me rolling! I thought I was the only one that couldn't hang anymore! I hit 7 out of 7. I gotta share this one on Facebook and tag some folks!

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Thanks LaShunda! It makes me feel so much better that I'm not alone!!!

thewritegift said...

LOL WOW "No Lie No Lie No Liiie" *in my Drake voice*

NellaTheDiva said...

Yes,to all of these. You can find my old ass at home on the couch with some wine lol

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

I would much rather spend a night in sipping wine rather than go out and deal with the crowds. If that makes me an old ass, then I'll take it! LOL

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

One of my fav Drake lines (right now)!

Anonymous said...

like I sed to tell my kids when I taught school..been there smoked that let the 90's babies run the club scene I aint got it like like and frankly dot want it.

EDM said...

You ain't ever lied! Have some wine at home and then walk a few steps to my BED.

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Wine within a few steps of the bed is ALWAYS a clutch move. Having a glass of wine away from home can be such a TASK.

@IntelChanelle said...

And here I thought that still making it out to happy hours, lounges, and private birthday parties meant that I still had it! You're right, us 80's babies are getting older but I think our more mature party style is an upgrade not a downgrade. Private parties in your home city and internationally are what the youngins strive for. [Especially if your home city is a metropolis like mine- go uptown New York City, biiiii...] They represent the exclusivity, network, and success that the twentysomethings hope to achive and emulate in the club scene.

I don't feel old but grown. My 21 year old brother wishes he could party like me and my thritysomething friends- top shelf bottle service, jet-setting birthday parties, and celebrity (major or minor) friends/guests. In time baby bro, in due time.

Raise up 80s babies!

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Its an upgrade indeed. We can't club like the 90s babies but they can't party like us. While they're standin in line to pay $20 to dance and sweat, we're sliding room keys to gain entrance to invite-only rooftop parties. While they're complaining about the cost of drinks, we're ordering bottle service at international parties. I do think it takes for one to be over that traditional club scene you appreciate a more sophisticated outing.

Anonymous said...

Here's the thing... you can be a 22 year old 80s baby or a 32 year old 80s baby. And if you're 22, 23, 24, clearly this article doesn't apply to you at all.

Secondly, you are only as old as you feel. This is not saying that you should be 45 at a grown and sexy party, but you also shouldn't be 27 telling yourself that you're "old". What you really mean is "I'm wack and I'm using my age as an excuse for my lack of fun".

Realistically, we all knew people who at 19 had to take catnaps before the club and made excuses for not coming out. These same people are the ones who at 24 never went on a Spring Break, have minimal to no stamps on their passport, and zero fun stories to pass on to their children. THESE are the people who feel "old" at 28. But they aren't old, most of the time, they're just boring.

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Here's another thing. . .it applies to all 80s babies. I know people who are 22 and looking for another way to enjoy partying because the club scene feels old to them. By the same token, I know people who are 32 and still club like I did in undergrad.

Secondly, I never said anything about not having fun. In fact, I encouraged people to have a different type of fun. Once you feel OVER the club scene its time to explore other partying options. We're not talking about FUN in general, we're talking about a very specific type of fun:going clubbing. If at age 19 you felt you were too old to be going out to clubs then maybe you just matured more quickly than your peers.

I am not saying people are actually old. That doesn't make sense. 26, 27 or 32 are not old by any standard other than the standards of 5 year old kids. But, at my age I do have moments where I feel old. My metabolism might be slower than it used to be or I may not be able to stay out all night and party like I used to. There are also moments like meeting young people who have never seen Jordan play a basketball game or have never heard of the 007 videogame or who consider songs like "Candy Rain" old school.

The things you listed doesn't make people boring, sometimes it means they're interested in a different type of fun. Just because you're 19 doesn't mean you HAVE to go to Cabo and get reckless for spring break. Just because you're 27 doesn't mean you can't go to clubs and genuinely enjoy that scene.

Nena said...

Excellent!

Anonymous said...

So on point. Fcuk the club!

Anonymous said...

HA!!!! I'm definitely an old head through and through-- have been since the womb. :)

Anonymous said...

Damn hahahhaa. Where do i join lol cause i clearly am a part of THIS club lmao fml

Anonymous said...

U ain't never lie! I'm an 80's baby and I'm havin the time of my life! I don't necessarily club a lot but I do other stuff that has me out at all times of the night where alcohol and music are involved. Some of my friends I've known most of my life are DONE by midnite and they go home; I've actually made some younger friends that way. Crazy yo.....

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

LOL why do you think I hung out with my YOUNGER cousin? Young folks gets it in!

truth said...

what? sounds like the person who wrote this article needs to exercise because if ur in ur 20s n feel like ur getting to old then my gosh wait till ur 40 n its over for u buddy.... sleep on it

ConventionalDee said...

I'm an old head and I'm over the club scene. I had a great run from 17-24, but when I hit 25 I was over it! I go out once a year with my younger cousin & little sister. I don't understand it now. They want bottle service and VIP booths, I want a dance floor and cheap yet strong drinks. And I want to be out that piece before the lights come on and folks want to fight! Young folks can have it, I'll sip wine in the comfort of my home while watching the twerk team on youtube. It's almost like being in the club! LOL

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Hey Dee thanks for reading! I, too, had a great run until around 24. The more birthdays I celebrate the less I want to "hang out" by going to a club. While I used to spend time with my friends going to clubs, we're all more content with going out to a nice dinner, having a nice glass of wine and ending it with a movie. I'm with you though...YOUNG(ER) FOLKS CAN HAVE IT.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious article! LOL I agree with you 110%!. i was born in 83... i did the whole club thing and even dj'ed all around chicago's nightclubs, frathouse parties downstate, etc etc... this was during my late high school years and college years... i turned 30 this month, and i would never think about going back in the clubs (well at least here in my hometown)... those days are always fun to remember, but im glad its over with... i remember seeing people in their late 20s or early 30s, esp older guys, and i use to think to myself, "i hope i don't become like those sleezeballs"! LOL so i try to stay away so i dont become one of the guys i use to make fun of.

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Thank you for reading! I know exactly how you feel. I only go out for special occasions and even then I don't shut the club down like I used to. I'm home by 2am lol

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! I AT WORK WIPING TEARS...I LIED I said I was going to a Reggae club tonight...me thinks not I am going swing by my private party and roll to the crib I went stupid hard about 2 weeks ago...and started training for a marathon...yes the crack was that good...I am putting it down now ;-)

Unknown said...

This shit right here had me WEAK!!!!! "You went out and partied from 10pm to 1am and your ass is exhausted the next day. The next day is entirely unproductive. Phuck sunglasses and Advil you're just not gonna leave the house." so true!!!!! hahahahah

Anonymous said...

I'm 31 and a Chicago night scene vet. I used to be in the exclusive, upscal "black professionals" social scene, occasionally hitting the less upscale places for fun. Not only does it seem like that young upscale crowd no longer exist, but even the non exclusive scene is dead. I guess I'll learn how to step now lol. my run lasted from 18 until about 26

Ashara said...

Dude. Best blog I've read in a long damn time.

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Wow! Thanks! Preciate you reading.

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

Judging by the number of shares and people agreeing, I'd say your opinion is the minority. Thanks for reading tho!

Raine Lali Gabrielle said...

I just wanted to share my truth. Glad I'm not alone LOL

Anonymous said...

This article makes me very melancholy. I am 31 almost 32 but I still have a craving to go out and tear it up from time to time but everyone around me is so boring!!! I had the time of my life from 17-27 so I had a good run but I feel like having fun is like pulling teeth now. I think I am truly ready to reinvent myself with some new friend that wanna have some GD fun life is too short to just work all the time!!!

Sharing IS Caring