Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, June 15, 2012

A Father's Day "Open Letter"

Father's Day on Facebook is coming.

Ahhhh Father's Day. The day where deadbeats are bashed and real fathers are resolved to receiving ugly ties and hand written cards. Its a day of reflection for people who have lost their dads to death or deadbeatassness. Its a day of gloating for self-proclaimed "Daddy's Girls."

For Facebook users, its a day of uploading showy pics featuring elaborately simple Father's Day meals, gifts and long status updates about fathers from all walks of life.

So, before ya'll get carried away with celebrating stealing my spotlight, I want to celebrate my own.

Some of you reading this know me personally. I imagine based upon my page view counts many of you do not.
I am:
A child of God.
26.
A lawyer trained by Howard University.
A native Floridian.
A DC resident.
Single.
Childless.
Underemployed.
High-spirited.

There. Now that we have that out of the way. Here is my open letter to my pops:

Dear Daddy,

I love you. I know that is a blessing to be able to say because I have met women (who are successful and sane, take that media!) who cannot say that. Its amazing how other people can help you see your blessings. Having you around was a "given" for me. I never questioned whether you would keep your word and show up to my countless events. From beauty pageants, to honor roll breakfasts, to debutante balls to graduations, it meant so much to look out and see you in the audience. "My daddy came to see me," is what I would say. You and my mom are not married so I imagine I miss that level of the connection with you but that does not make you any less great. Great is what you are. Great is what you have always been. I salute you for not being absent when you could have made excuses. I thank you for always treating my mom with love and respect.

We made promises to each other. Promises that I have broken but you have not. You always kept your word. You are quietly confident and a source of my strength. I thank God that I cannot think of ONE time you were not there for me. When everyone thought a little girl from Belle Glade was a mere "dreamer" for wanting to become a judge, you encouraged me. You told me I could do anything I put my mind to and you have been there to support me every step of the way. When it was time for college, you drove me. When I needed school supplies, you equipped me. When I decided to go to my dream law school over 1000 miles away, you packed up 2 cars and relocated me.

I can feel your prayers for me. You have supported, loved and encouraged me unconditionally without expecting anything in return. In a world where everyone is out for themselves, that has made all the difference to me. Thank you.

Although I am not there to spend father's day with you, I want you to know I take you with me everywhere I go. You are in the way I speak. Your teachings are in the way I carry myself as a woman. You are the reason I am the woman I am today. My love for traveling and exploring comes from you. My sense of adventure (even though you don't understand why I want to skydive lol) comes from you.
My confidence, my sense of security and my "good hair" is part of me because of who you are.

I am me because you are you. Even when I could not wrap my head around the truth, you were honest with me. When I marry, I pray for a husband who is half the man you are. When I have children, I hope my children's father molds them the way you have helped to mold me. I am blessed. If God blesses me with a son, I hope he's like my daddy.

There was a time when I struggled with balancing my adulthood and being a little girl in your eyes. That time has passed. I am happy being both. As long as God blesses me with the gift of life, I will be your little girl.

Happy Father's Day Daddy.

I love you.

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring