Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, June 18, 2012

The Morning After: 5 Things #BlackTwitter Taught Me About Father's Day

Oh, you're offended because the title insinuates twitter has racial partitions? 
It does.
Get over it.
There is also:
Unemployed Twitter.
Can't spell for shit Twitter.
Glitter Twitter.
Groupie Twitter.
And the list goes on.

Black Twitter felt different yesterday.

I am in no way saying the black community suffers any more on Father's Day than the white, asian or spanish communities. Every community has outliers they are not proud of but our "fatherhood" struggles are more widely explored. Also, the struggles of the black community are the only struggles I can speak about with any ounce of scorn or reverence because it is the only community I really know. If you're looking for someone of one racial background who goes around pontificating bullshit about what they learned from a book or study abroad interaction with another race, you're on the wrong blog.

For the most part, my twitter timeline is pretty predictable. I know who the assholes are. I know who the comedians are. I know who the drama queens and aspiring models are. I know who is most likely to retweet (share) things that are not suitable for work. I know the people with real jobs who can't tweet from work and the people who tweet to get thru the work day. 

I like feeling like I know everyone, even if I only know the kind of twitter account they maintain. It is part of what makes twitter so great, for me. My twitter has boring days, days where all of my followers tickle my funny bone and all kinds of days in between. 

I know why twitter was different yesterday: Father's Day was yesterday. (Duh, right?) Like most things, social media interactions took Father's Day to another level. It was like a sensory overload. In 140 characters or less, people praised their fathers and professed their love for them. There were twitpics and Instagram photos of "throwback" and present moments captured with the tweeter's father. It was, in a word: Heartwarming. 

While single mothers step up to the plate in the father's absence, nothing compares to the impact of having a committed father or father figure. The man who stuck around, protected you and comforted you filled a space a single mother could never fulfill. No disrespect to single mothers tho. Never any room for disrespecting single mothers. Hallmark's Mahogany line of greeting cards even acknowledges them on Father's Day (see right).

Full Disclosure: I follow 211 people. That sample is a mix of people I met while in law school, in college and people I have known since before high school. I also have a few random twitter friends. 98% of the people I follow are black. I consider myself a user of black twitter. I've tried to jump ship a few times, but my applications to join other factions of Twitter were denied. Although my sample size is small, I'm confident my experience on black twitter yesterday can be shared by many. In case you can't tell, twitter is my bottom b*tch in the world of social networks.  

Yesterday I learned a few things from #blacktwitter. Like to know what they are? Here it goes... 

 5. People WANT Father's Day to be Positive.  I thought Father's Day was gonna get ugly on twitter. I expected to see people talking about how terrible their father was. Those people were around, but they didn't get much shine. I expected to see women going off about their "daddy issues." I saw that too, but that wasn't the prevalent tone of my timeline.

 4. The Black Family is Alive and Well. When the media wants to tear us down or create a divide, the first thing they attack is the black family unit. Their attacks on our "church" is a post for another day. Yesterday, my timeline was snatched by people who praised their father (and other fathers in their family) for holding their families together. Some gave specific examples while others spoke generally about their dads awesome-ness. It was remarkable.

This leads me to...
3. Everyone on #BlackTwitter Thinks Their Dad is "The Greatest Dad in the World." Pair this with #blackfemaletwitter where every girl thinks she is the biggest daddy's girl ever. Whether they said it to be boastful or they really believe it, the general consensus yesterday was that everyone's dad is the greatest. There are millions of great dads out there and if your dad is the closest thing to a God then so be it. If he's your hero, let him be that. If he taught you how to be a real man or how to carry yourself as a "lady," give him credit. It is important for us to internalize great BLACK fathers still exist.  

2. Father Figures Don't Get Enough Recognition. Father figures are sensational people. They are coaches, teachers, band directors, step fathers, older brothers, uncles, cousins and grandfathers who step up and impact lives. Stepping into the role of a father figure is not an easy decision.  They don't always realize their significance because ya hardly ever get to see the fruits of your labor.  They do it because it is the right thing to do.  Father figures deserve to be recognized and appreciated just as much as biological fathers. This is especially true in the black community. Being a black man in America is one of the hardest things to do. Its such an insurmountable task most black men can't even help you relate to it. In fact, the only people who can appreciate it intimately and holistically are other black men.  Black men care, ya'll. Give them their props. 

1. Father's Day is a Day of Forgiveness. People make mistakes. With every new day you are blessed with life, you have an opportunity to be the bigger person and try to make things right. #Blacktwitter taught me Father's Day is one of those special days that makes reconnecting easier. The window of opportunity is pretty much wide open. If there is a father figure or anyone in your life who has not lived up to your standards, forgive them. Communicate your disappointment and your desire to have a solid relationship. Holding a grudge doesn't get you anywhere. It blocks your blessings. Extend an olive branch and attempt to rebuild that relationship. Stop waiting for them to do it. It won't be perfect but that is what makes life interesting. 

Well thats what I learned from black twitter yesterday. How was your Father's Day? Did you have any "ah ha" moments yesterday? Talk to me.


No comments:

Sharing IS Caring