Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Out the door...inspirational quote to start your day

GREAT morning beautiful people! 

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin
I know today's quote a bit cliche but I believe it is still as powerful as it was when Benjamin Franklin first said it. Today I issue a challenge to all of you to make backup plans. Its simple: make a plan and then make a backup plan! I hear you saying "wait a minute, I thought we were supposed to pick a goal and work hard towards making that goal a reality?" That is still true. I do not want you to confuse having a backup plan with planning to fail because that is not the case. Having a backup plan is accepting the reality that we live in a world filled with uncertainty. Not only is it wise to have a backup plan, it is necessary.  Have you heard people describe horrific freak accidents by saying "I never knew it could happen to me"??  Life has a way of throwing unexpected obstacles in your way and if you are prepared with backup plans your course will not be negatively impacted as much and bouncing back will be much easier. I'm an optimist on all days that end in Y but I am also a realist. I would fail you as a blogger and as a person if I told you all unrealistic things. Thats not my goal. Stop thinking bad things dont happen and wake up to reality. Bad things happen. Bad people exist. Plans dont work out. You are special and you are extraordinary but that is not enough to ensure a perfect life for you. How many extraordinary workers lost their jobs 2 years ago? How many dedicated people became unexpectedly underemployed?  Do you think those people went to work for 10, 15 or 20 years believing one day they would be laid off and lose their pensions? Do you think they believed they would retire with a nice nest egg or get fired from a company that went under?


Let those questions marinate.  


Before you go any further, stop and ask yourself the following questions: 
What happens if the company you plan on working for files for bankruptcy? 
What happens if your company decides to outsource jobs overseas? 
Do you have skills that another company would think are valuable? 
Are you financially stable enough to support yourself if you have to return to school as a full time student? 
Would you be willing to relocate for a job? 
What happens if you graduate without any job offers? 


Do not stop at Plan A, make a Plan B, Plan C and even a plan D.   Do not wait around for life to happen, anticipate things that might happen and stay on your toes. 


No excuses only results! 


Sidenote: A big CONGRATS to my great friend Alpha for winning CFO!! I'm so proud to have played a teeny part in getting you elected as a write in candidate. 


Love! 

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring