Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, January 24, 2011

Daily Inspiration from HUSL Today

GREAT morning everyone. Happy Monday!!
"If you are dealing with fears and insecurities from old head programs, have compassion for yourself. Just love your insecurities, fears and resentments. Release and forgive them as they come up. Judging, beating or repressing insecurities just gives them power. Then you have a pattern that never gets resolved. Recognize that your real security is built from your relationship with your own heart." -Sara Paddison, The Hidden Power of the Heart

This past weekend I went on an amazing ski adventure with some of my closest friends. The only problem with the trip was two things: (1) It was 7 degrees NOT taking into account the windchill and (2) I'm TERRIFIED of heights. Another thing you should know about me: I have become good at masking my fears. I don't think anyone noticed how PETRIFIED I was to ride the ski lift. In spite of my fear, I stood in line with sweaty palms and bravely boarded once I realized there was no turning back.

While it is physically demanding, I find skiing to be relaxing and invigorating. I saw it as another opportunity to step outside of the box and challenge myself. The only part I dreaded was having to board a ski lift to return to the top of the mountain. The first few times up, I made sure to ride the lift with a partner to ease my fears and it worked. As luck would have it, during my penultimate trip down the slopes there were 3 of us and I was ahead of my friends in the ski lift line so I chose to ride alone. While on said ski lift, I made the ultimate mistake-I took my eyes off of the horizon and looked DOWN! My heart began to beat very fast as I continued to tell myself I was NOT afraid. I looked around for assurance that everything would be ok and realized I was panicking. I began to breathe slowly to calm myself down. It was while I was dangling in the air suspended by a cord & holding on to a metal bar that I realized my fear was self-created. It existed only in my mind and only for as long as I allowed it to exist.

More when you read the rest...



While my intuition reminded me of all the terrible things that can go wrong while on the lift, I realized that I was ruining my experience by thinking negatively. I became determined to turn my fears around and to continue to make the most of my trip. I went down the mountain once more and thats when I spotted it: the exhibition mountain. I quickly set my sites on the "easy" exhibition slope and I watched others take the plunge before I decided to try it myself.

The first time I tried it, I aborted the mission and avoided the concoction. I realized it was more difficult than my predecessors made it appear. Take a look...


I let my fear of falling and of failing prevent me from even taking the jump. I was disappointed in myself and decided to go for it again, but this time I was out to prove a point to myself...and I did. Take a look...



I made it! I felt amazing. I could not believe I didn't take the chance the first time. It was beautiful! I recognize that it looks impeccably simple and easy and I can assure you that it was anything BUT! I have footage of at least 6 people falling that proves it. What I hope you all gain from my anecdote is the motivation to face your fears! Recognize that they only exist because you allow them to. While I am not condoning ignoring your gut feeling, I am asking you to consider challenging the existence of certain fears. Why are you afraid of certain activities? Have you avoided certain situations? If you are not allergic, why have you avoided trying other foods? Reflect on the things you have eliminated due to your fears and how it affects your life. Make a list and proactively seek out opportunities to cross those things off of your list. Next up on my list . . .WHITE WATER RAFTING!


Today's song choice: John Legend-So High

Thanks for stopping by!

Love!!


P.S. Although their efforts were no match for the Steelers this time, I wanna congratulate the NY Jets on playing a GREAT GAME!! #10 toes down!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring