Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Daily Inspiration from HUSL Today

GREAT morning everyone! I apologize about the delay, I "overslept" and was swamped this morning when I arrived to work. Moving on...I know I need more than a little motivation after the restful 3 day weekend I enjoyed. I give you today's inspiration...

"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today." -Pope Paul VI

I used to wake up some mornings and ask God why I wasnt born with a silver spoon in my mouth. By silver spoon I mean born into wealth. Why did I wish this? My family wasn't poor but we weren't rich either. Essentially, I wished I was born into a family that could afford for me to never have to work a day in my life. I was resisting growing up and I believed if I was born to a wealthy family I could remain a "kid" for longer than normal. Age aint nothin but a number, right?
I didnt want to go to work.
I didnt want to go to school.
I didnt want to face the responsibilities of becoming an adult.
So far the only answer that has ever consumed my spirit is that I wouldnt be the person I am today if I was born with a "silver spoon." I probably would not be as determined and driven as I am. I probably would not be as satisfied as I am. I probably would have missed out on wonderful opportunities and missed meeting wonderful people.  I believe my "ah ha" moment came after the third millionaire confessed that she envied my spirit and my ability to relate to almost everyone. She complained that her socioeconomic status made it difficult for her to relate to regular people and was blunt about her negative experiences with people in her "circle." Stick with me, theres a point. I have learned not to envy people who I believe have a better life than I have had based on exterior appearances. Expensive cars, houses and clothes can easily be used to cover up deeply rooted problems. Lesson learned: you never know what a person has done to get what they have. 

I am proud to proclaim that my struggles have molded me. As a woman I have learned to love my frame and as an African American I have learned to love my skin color. I say I "learned" because my love for myself has been a journey as is every quest to embrace self love. I internalized my kind of beauty and so should you.

I encourage all of you to accept the hand you were dealt and to play the best d*mned hand possible. Dont be lazy and complain, be proactive and proclaim victory! I could finish this off by telling you everything happens for a reason, and God doesnt make mistakes and its up to you to shape your future but I'm sure you all know that.

BTW its restaurant week in DC. Does that excite anyone else?!! *fat girl moment*

Today's song choice: Kanye West-Heard 'Em Say

LOVE!!!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring