Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Morning Inspiration

GREAT morning everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your 3 day weekend (I know I did!) but now we must refocus, get re-energize and start our work weeks off on a positive note!

A good leader inspires people to have confidence in the leader, a great leader inspires people to have confidence in themselves” -Unknown

Allow me to share a quick anecdote: This past weekend my girls and I spent a great amount of time together. When it came time for us to switch locations it worked out in such a way that everyone was in a different car. We are all leaders in our own way but only one of us could lead the way to our next destination. While following my girlfriends (and singing loudly to Songs in A Minor), it donned on me that in order to be a great leader you must be humble enough to admit an area of weakness. Following travel directions is not my strength; the TomTom ONE is my Ace in the hole. Also not my strength are things involving arts & crafts and math problems involving trigonometry or differential equations. The point is I am not too headstrong to admit this to all of you. I challenge you all to become comfortable in figuring out your weaknesses. Doing so will allow you to have a better understanding of how to approach situations in which you are not the expert. YES I said arts & crafts are a weak spot for me but you can bet your bottom dollar that if the situation requires arts & crafts I'll get my hands covered in gobbly gook and do my best. It sounds like a contradiction but I know you have all heard of "fake it til you make it."

Acknowledging that you are weak in some areas does not mean you cannot turn them into a strength, but you must first acknowledge it. Further, you must also be comfortable enough to follow another when you realize you have stepped way out of your comfort zone. This does not make you any less of a leader. In fact, following another person who has strengths opposite yours makes you stronger. How? Following another requires opening up your mind and relinquishing total control of the situation.

As leaders, especially young strong-willed leaders with Google at our fingertips, it can be difficult for us to do this because we prefer to do things on our own. If you want something done right you should always do it yourself right? Well thats not quite true. No man or woman is an island and you should never try to be. We cannot do it all on our own. Everyone needs help. Recognize that you will always maintain control over yourself but there will be situations where you will have to delegate and take direction. Granted, doing so requires a great deal of trust but I know you all can do it! I'm not saying relinquish control over your life but if your boss assigns you and a group of your colleagues a project that is outside of your forte, take a step back and asses the knowledge of your peers before jumping in the pool head first knowing you can't swim. You will have to learn to trust others and their instincts when you are outside of your area of expertise.  You will also have to trust that they have your best interests in mind.

As leaders we must not only learn how to give direction, we must also learn how to take it. Strike a balance between the two and you will grow with each new experience.

Today's Song Choice: Mariah Carey & Boys II Men-One Sweet Day


Spread Love!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring