Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Thursday, July 05, 2012

KeeK's Dating Adventures: Episode 3

When you're single and open to dating in DC you have to be open to meeting people in places where you wouldn't expect to meet them. I expect to meet people at a bar for happy hour. I expect to meet people at networking events. I expect to meet people when I go places expecting to meet people. 


The DC Metro is one of those places I do not expect to meet new people. People intentionally appear unavailable. Mattafack, I rarely hear any conversation on the metro. Metro riders plug their ears and tune out.  No one makes eye contact except people looking for a friend. 
"The Metro Marathoner"
Where we met: On the Redline metro. I was leaving an impromptu brunch meet-up and he was dressed in marathon garb. We were both wearing skeletoes shoes. 


The Number Exchange
Anyone who owns a pair of "toe sneakers" knows they are a great conversation starter. We laughed about people's fascination with them for 2 stops and we both needed to transfer. He shared information about the next marathon and said we should train together. I knew he didn't just want to train and he knew I knew, but I gave *Tyler my number anyway. 


The Experience
Tyler was an avid runner who was very dedicated to being fit. The morning after we met he sent me a shirtless picture and addressed it to his queen. I didn't complain. Tyler didn't eat pork (strike 1). We met up a few times to run together before going on our official first date. He ran shirtless. It was thru Tyler I realized how I hate running with other people. 


We went to dinner at Zengo. It was on a Wednesday at 7pm. We both put effort into our looks but were dressed casually. The conversation was interesting. We chatted for 30 minutes while I sipped on a mango mojito. Tyler made it a point to emphasize how he didn't date much because he wanted to find his queen. His submissive queen. His stay at home and make babies queen. His cooking and cleaning queen. His content with her life queen. I found myself staring at him. He stared back at me. 
He asked, "Why are you staring at me? Do you like what you see?"
"Actually, I don't." I responded with a smirk.
"Do I have somethin in my teeth?" he asked, pulling out his iPhone to check.
I assured him he did not but confessed, "I have to tell you somethin. Don't think I'm rude." 
"I know you're sassy. Theres nothin you can tell me to hurt my feelings," he said. I could tell he had no idea what I was about to say. 
"Do you always relate everything in life to running? Is that what you mostly talk about with your friends?" I asked sincerely. 
"Well I don't have many friends. I kind of stick to myself," he said with a curious look on his face
I could tell he was trying to figure out my point. Poor kid looked really concerned. 
"Do you know how women have these rules about dating? And how they are willing to make exceptions for a dude they're actually interested in?" I asked as I tried to ease up to my point. 
"Well yea. Everybody knows that. Like if the guy she doesn't like calls all the time she complains but if the guy she actually likes does the same its ok" he said proudly. 
I took a deep breath and let it out, "You aren't the dude I would make exceptions for. I don't think we could work. I hope find your queen."
I don't know where the words came from but they flowed from my lips effortlessly. I frantically searched for a reaction from him trying to hide my concern for how my words affected him. 
"Do you really mean that? You don't see a future with me?"  he asked after he paused for a few moments. 
"Are you serious about only wanting a woman who will be completely submissive to you?" 
"Yes. I think it takes a real woman to completely submit." 
"Well theres your answer. I'm not the queen you're looking for." I walked away from the date assured that I had done the right thing. 


What I learned:
Don't give men on the metro my number. Sike! Nah I'm kidding. I walked away from dinner that night feeling free. I realize now what I said wasn't ideal but the gesture was a big move for me. It was important for me not to waste time. I didnt see it for Tyler and it wouldn't take another date for me to see that. I didn't see the point of pretending I felt a romantic chemistry with him. *Shrug* Until next week. 


*Names have been changed to protect the guilty. 

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring