Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The 3 best things about being a college student


After a brief conversation with a colleague from undergrad, it dawned on me that college has a few perks once you get past the high cost of tuition, books, and 20 page term papers. Looking back on my journey to get my first receipt Degree here are a few of the perks I thought of: 
Image source: http://www.whplibrary.org/newandnoteworthy/college.jpg

1. The breaks. Winter Break. Spring Break. Summer Break. We work for 9 months and we get a 3 month vacation spread out over the year. These breaks are in addition to federal holidays and days off for convocation. Let's recap this. When you're in the corporate world you are not privileged with such breaks. Spring break?! What is that? As a college student, you are rewarded with a summer break which is roughly 3 months (mid May-early August). Sometimes looking forward to our next break

2. Meeting lifelong friends: Lets just say when I get married, I already know who my bridesmaids will be. 

3. Experiences outside of the classroom. Most of you can probably relate when I say I learned more outside of the classroom than I did sitting in one. Statistics didn't teach me how to make a good first impression. Logic 101 didn't teach me about how to carry myself with self respect. Civil Procedure didn't teach me how to let my hair down and  have a good time. I learned this things once I closed my books and actually ventured out into the world. If you are considering college, I encourage you to choose an institution that will ensure a quality and valuable education both in and out of the classroom. If you are a college student, I encourage you to put the books down for a few hours and breathe fresh air; your brain will thank you.

Also, many colleges pride themselves on their diverse student body.  A student from France could share a room with a student from Idaho. A student from Austria could share a room with a student from the Netherlands. This presents a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in a culture you may not have otherwise known much about.

What were/are your favorite memories about college? Feel free to share your own pros/cons in the comment section. 

Have a great day friends!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring