Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, March 12, 2010

So many tasks...so little energy

E = mc2
 
The equation above indicates that energy always exhibits mass in whatever form the energy takes. It does not imply that mass may be “converted” to energy, for modern theory holds that neither mass nor energy may be destroyed, but only moved from one location to another.

 
Ok that’s enough physics for today. I took the other route to avoid math.

There are too many things to do and 24 hours is not enough time to do it all. Its been like that since before time. I wonder if the cavemen thought there wasn't enough time in the day to hunt and gather?

When I was in elementary school there weren't enough hours in the day to finish my favorite book. As a teenager there weren't enough hours in the day to talk to my friends. As an adult there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that is expected of me. Moreover, I invest a considerable amount of time doing things in excellence which translates into a need for even more time. Since it looks like our days are getting shorter (thanks to Big G), we must find ways to make our days more productive. We must use our time efficiently and wisely. How do we do that? Well it starts with minimizing our time on social networks but that’s another story. We need to keep our energy levels up. Getting adequate amounts of sleep and a well balanced diet is what my doctor recommended when I asked how I could get more energy. 

What happens when you need more energy? What do you do to get the extra energy when you've been given an assignment on Sunday evening that is due Monday morning at 8. 

Some of you exercise while others take herbal supplements,  consume energy drinks, or drink coffee. I have experiences with everything except coffee.

7am workouts get me through my day in a good mood and I have found exercising on my study breaks to be a great way to get through all nighters. I stop every few hours and do an intense work out for about 4 minutes and BAM my adrenaline rushes and I feel energized. The drawback to this is that I feel sore so it slows down my productivity since I have to focus some of my energy on working through the soreness.
 Image source: http://alet202.iblog.co.za/files/2009/05/gym-main_full.jpg

 
Herbal supplements like ginkgo biloba and ginseng have also proved effective. I did not feel the "zing" until an hour or so after I took them, but the effects were duly noted. I took my supplements with a cup of hot green tea. I was more focused for longer than normal and got a lot accomplished. The drawback to supplements is that I do not like taking meds and taking supplements felt a lot like taking medicine. 
Energy drinks are typically attractive to young people. Approximately 65% percent of its drinkers are between the ages of 13 and 35 years old, with males being approximately 65% of the market. A 2008 statewide Patient Poll conducted by the Pennsylvania Medical Society’s Institute for Good Medicine found that: 20 percent of respondents ages 21–30 had used energy drinks in high school or college to stay awake longer to study or write a paper; 70 percent of respondents knew someone who had used an energy drink to stay awake longer to study or work. Red Bull fiends will remain nameless.

Energy drinks are not my method of choice to put that extra pep in my step. They generally do not taste good and can leave you feeling bloated. But my opinion is changing. Before you judge me for saying I look for taste, remember I'm a foodie so taste is a huge factor in deciding whether I like something. Now back to my point, I recently tried a Monster energy drink and the taste was mediocre but after roughly 15 minutes I started to feel its effects. I chose Monster because one of my friends, an energy drink connoisseur, recommended it. She told me not to try 5 hour energy or red bull until I tried Monster so that I can see how my body responds to the formula. Yea, didn't make sense to me either. I didn't NEED to stay up late or anything. I just wanted to. Call me an overachiever and then get over it.  
Generally energy drinks include methylxanthines (including caffeine), vitamin B and herbs. Other common ingredients are guarana, acai, and taurine, plus various forms of ginseng, maltodextrin, carbonated water, inositol, carnitine, creatine, glucuronolactone and ginkgo biloba. Some contain high levels of sugar, and many brands also offer artificially-sweetened 'diet' versions. The central ingredient in most energy drinks is caffeine, the same stimulant found in coffee or tea, often in the form of guarana or yerba mate.

Image source: http://www.teamairsoft.com/home/images/800MW-141.jpg
Caution is warranted even for healthy adults who choose to consume energy beverages. Consumption of a single energy beverage will not lead to excessive caffeine intake; however, consumption of two or more beverages in a single day can. Other stimulants such as ginseng are often added to energy beverages and may enhance the effects of caffeine, and ingredients such as guarana themselves contain caffeine. Adverse effects associated with caffeine consumption in amounts greater than 400 mg include nervousness, irritability, sleeplessness, increased urination, abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmia), and stomach upset. Energy drinks do not provide electrolytes, and have a higher likelihood of an energy "crash-and-burn" effect. Caffeine in energy drinks can excrete water from the body to dilute high concentrations of sugar entering the blood stream, leading to dehydration. If the body is dehydrated by 1%, performance is decreased by up to 10%.

I felt a burst of energy and I was able to remain focused until the wee hours of the morning. I didn’t feel groggy the next morning and I had to force myself to go to sleep so there was no "crash."  My palms became sweaty around hour #5 but I'm gonna blame it on the fact that I was typing for 5 hours straight. Although I cannot say I'm a converted energy drinker, I will definitely add this to the list of things I will consider when I know its going to be a long night. 

I'm not a coffee drinker but I have friends who are cranky until they have had their Cup O Joe. One such friend tried to quit cold turkey and suffered unbearable headaches. Since I can't speak from experience I'll ask you all to describe your experiences.  Don't worry, you can remain anonymous!

What do you do when you have to pull an all nighter or when you need a sudden burst of energy? What are the pros and cons? Do you consider health risks before you ingest an energy supplement?

Please share your tips. Tell us what works and doesn't work. Give us your honest opinion about what we should stay away from.  Sharing is caring...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is debatable whether yerba mate contains cafeine or mateine, but whatever the stimulant is, it should not provide any of the adverse effects caffeine normally does (jitters, crash, hypertesion, headaches, etc.).

Sharing IS Caring