Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, March 01, 2010

4 Random solutions to problems YP's face





1. I hate my job. 5 years ago, the solution to this problem would be to quit and find something better. However, I couldn't recommend this solution in good conscious considering the state of the economy. Unless you have another GUARANTEED position lined up, I suggest you suck it up. Unless all of my social buddies are all liars, I'd guess that more than 1/2 of employed people are unsatisfied with their jobs. This may be due to relationships with other employees or overall dissatisfaction with being underemployed or going to school for 4+ years and working a position that does not allow you to gain practical work experience. Sadly, this situation may not change for many. Thus, my solution is to make the best of it. If your co-workers only talk about things you're not interested in, do a quick google search and learn more about the subjects. If you feel like your work goes unappreciated, speak up and tell the powers that be how you feel. If you are 2 seconds away from going postal on the employee in the office next to you, speak up and tell them. Harboring resentment harms you, not them. Also, I challenge all of you to stop being mean to the morning person who arrives @6am with a smile and no coffee (that person is always me).

2. I'm broke and I can feel it. Dont believe those graphic tees;  broke is NOT the new black. Unless you make $20/month and your bills add up to $19/month there is room to change this. Have you ever heard people say they grew up poor but they didnt realize it until they got older? Well its the same with being broke. Sometimes you dont realize how broke you are until you try to buy something.

The first step is to determine why you are "broke." Are you employed or unemployed?

If you are employed the first step where most of your money is going. If you're spending 60% of your income on housing consider a downgrade for a year or two to save money. If you spend 30% of your income shopping and eating out, consider cutting down on these activities for a few months and watch how money will seem to come from no where. Trust me, I'm a shopaholic in recovery and my accounts have never been happier. The next step is to determine how much you are willing to sacrifice. Do you REALLY need to eat out every night or can you make time to learn to cook? Do you REALLY need these or could you settle for these or these? Once you save a few hundred dollars seriously consider investing it. Why not make your money work while you sleep?

If you are unemployed (translation: You're so broke you can't PAY attention), take time to seriously consider taking a job you may not otherwise take. Don't want to suck up your pride? Well that I do not have a solution for, but I will ask you to consider how much money you REALLY make sitting at home all day versus how much money you could make managing the electronics department at Wal-Mart. In any event, its a proven fact that you are more likely to get a job while you are working than you are to get a job while unemployed. Allocate the blame where you please, but truth is truth.

3. I'm not as successful as my friends. (Saw this on a recent episode of True Life). It is dangerous to compare yourself to other people thereby rendering your success relative. Comparing yourself to people you love is even more dangerous because it could lead to resentment. Of course, we all want to be successful. However, you MUST come up with your own definition of success. Does it include a college degree? An advanced degree? Do you desire to make $500,000/year while working 240 hrs/year? OR would you rather live comfortably making $95,000/year with a wife/husband and 2 children? All I'm saying is success is relative and everyone is not motivated by the same thing. I'm motivated by my fear of complacency and mediocrity, figure out what motivates you and build your momentum from there. Whatever you do, do not measure your self worth based on the success of others, they may not be as successful as they will have you believe.

4. My spouse is going to leave me because I don't make enough money. While I've had many heated conversations with card carrying members of both sexes, I have to admit that I think this is a legitimate excuse reason for wanting to leaving someone. The great prophet Kanye proclaimed: "Now I aint saying she a gold digger, but she aint messing with no broke ninjas." Unless you've been fronting (emphasis) like you've got Donald Trump's dough when all you have is cookie dough, stick with me I have a point. The first step is to acknowledge your feelings and attempt to discuss it with your better half. If you're worried that you don't make enough money to support your spouse's *air quotes* lifestyle, then the two of you need to have a serious discussion. You need to figure out his/her POV about the lifestyle they deserve and why he/she feels like they cannot live any other way. Does your spouse equate money with stability or freedom? The next step is to consider your circumstances. Do you think they will improve? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are they in the picture? Can you imagine your life without them? Depending on your answers to these questions, it may be time to let them go. If its meant to be, it will be. If its not, there is nothing you can do to change it.The last thing you want is to keep someone around you who doesn't truly want to be around you. Again, this can lead to resentment. Forgive my use of a cliche, but money does not buy happines. In fact, hip hop prophets Mace and Puffy proclaimed years ago that more money=more problems. The key to building valuable relationships is finding and appreciating things money can't buy.  Things like trust and loyalty. Dont get so caught up on making money to make your spouse happy that you lose yourself in the process.


Bottom line, there are 52 cards in a deck. You've received your hand. Take every opportunity to play your best round of poker.

Did I miss anything? Did I get it all wrong? Share amongst friends. Sharing is Caring...

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring