Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

BREAKING NEWS: East Coast is hit with a 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake

It looks like we all survived. Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers as the East Coast deals with the devastation and aftermath of today's earthquake. Ok, I'm kidding. It was more unnerving than damaging and was definitely scary for an East Coast native like myself.  I thought the building was going to collapse. Thank God for building codes! Also, since cell phones were down for about a 1/2 hour thank God for Twitter and Facebook. 


I think most reactions were, "the ground ain't supposed to move!" Things might have fallen off of the shelves and it only lasted roughly 15 seconds (it felt like FOREVER) but no major damage has been reported. Below is a photo of all reported damage:
This isn't the first quake to hit the area since I have lived here, but I slept through the 3.6 magnitude on July 16 of last year. I know what I felt today and I don't want to feel it again. At first I thought it was construction, then I thought it was a bomb and then I realized it was an earthquake. My first reaction was to text my friends to confirm it but I realized my cell phone wasn't working so I did what anyone else would have done...I tweeted "Earthquaaaaaakkkeee!!!!!" and ran into the doorway of the bathroom because thats what the movies told me to do. I stayed there until it appeared the tv would fall off of the dresser so I moved it and ran back into the doorway. I don't know how you West Coast natives deal with the ground shaking. At least when a hurricane hits we have some sort of warning. 


Let's hope there isn't an aftershock. #DCEarthquake2011 (yes, I know the epicenter was in Virginia.)

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring