Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, August 01, 2011

The Omega Psi Phi Conclave: I survived QUEpocalypse!

Ok so it wasn't bad enough to be compared to an apocalypse but it was a memorable experience. Before I go any further, I have to share that I am not "Greek" and this post should be strictly construed as a tribute to the Omegas and their visit to the D/M/V. Moving on. 


For those of you who do not live in the D/M/V area or who don't follow the goings-on of the Greek community, the men of Omega Psi Phi Fraternity (ΩΨΦ) Incorporated descended upon our nation's capital this weekend in celebration of their centennial. It is estimated that about 10,000 “Ques” from more than 700 chapters around the world made the pilgrimage as part of the organization's conclave. The men were here to pay homage to three Howard University students and their faculty adviser who established the first black fraternity at an all-black university on November 17, 1911. The two other all-black fraternities at the time had been founded at white institutions. Just as most of them have returned to work and are gleefully sharing stories of a wild weekend with their friends I too am reminiscing about the happenings of this past weekend. Where do I start?



The parties were ratchet, but good clean fun.
Parking was scarce.
Hustlers were everywhere selling everything from water to commemorative t-shirts.
Old dawgs learned new tricks.
Women in skimpy dresses and high heels were plentiful. 
There was a bountiful harvest of chocolate men in gold boots and purple sleeveless t-shirts.  
A dawg was hopping so furiously at the step show he hopped himself into a trip to the emergency room and was treated for exhaustion. 
Dawgs barked and scared unsuspecting yt folks. 
Fun times were had by all. 


The four day event featured a salute to education, leadership, military and scholarship. Admittedly, I didn't attend any of the official events. I just went to the parties so my perspective about the weekend is a bit skewed. All things considered, it was definitely not for the faint of heart. The campus of Howard University was a literal sea of purple t-shirts and gold boots starting from the corner of 6th and Howard and barked all the way to the Shaw-Howard metro station. I have to admit, the display of brotherhood was moving. Men who had never met each other were bonding over their journey and comparing their "hits" and sharing stories. The intense male camaraderie was obvious.


Once I got over the fact that the District would be overcrowded for a few days, I was able to appreciate the significance of their visit. The Que Dogs repped so hard, it was tough not to notice. The bruhs were throwing up hooks at each other in the clubs, on the street, in the mall, in restaurants, in hotel lobbies and in parking lots. They party hopped, barked, and played Atomic Dog so many times I have learned the words.


For the first time since I moved here, I managed to hang out in the district until 6am and I enjoyed every minute of it. For those of you not familiar with what party life is like in Miami, FL this may seem like an unusual feat but trust when I say it is normal for some. I may have been extremely tired the next day but it was worth it. I steered clear of the parties hosted by Shaquille O'neal and Terrance J of 106 & Park fame because I knew the crowds would be ridiculous. Still, I heard great things about them. I joined in on the reindeer games and told a few dawgs my name was Stacey. *giggles* Yea I admit, I rubbed a few brands too. I couldn't help myself. Go ahead and judge me, I had an awesome time. What were YOU doing?


The fraternity counts basketball stars Michael Jordan and Shaquille O’Neal, entertainer Bill Cosby, and politicians L. Douglas Wilder — the nation’s first black elected governor — and Jesse L. Jackson among its members. The group also includes 20 military generals, Harlem Renaissance poet Langston Hughes and media entrepreneur Earl Graves.


It wouldn't be a trill post about Ques without a music break featuring Atomic Dog. Check it below...





Congrats to the men of Omega Psi Phi!! 

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring