Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Tell us how you REALLY feel...Black History in 2010

Wow! Its February 25 already?!? My how Black History (or Black Emphasis, call it what you want) Month has flown by. We only have 3 days left!

I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but it doesn't "feel" like black history month. Before you get confused, allow me to explain. As an elementary school student I was encouraged (read: required) to do a research paper and/or a speech on an African American person of my choice. My peers and I gravitated towards people like Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Dr.Maya Angelou, Oprah, Dr. MLK Jr. and Tupac (hey we all have our heroes). As a high school student, I attended black history concerts where we sang negro spirituals like "Swing low, Sweet Chariot," "Hush, somebody's calling my name," "Wade in the Water". We also sang the black national anthem (click here to hear it) and performed traditional African dances (read: interpretations of the infamous dance from Coming to America that looked something like this.

Fast forward to 2010 and it seems like people are not putting the effort into Black History Month (BHM) that we used to. I used to see my African Amercian brothers and sisters don custom made kente printed dashikis and television programming also emphasized Black History. So far, I've seen Boys 'N the Hood air 5 times on BET and a few movies starring African Americans sprinkled into the programming on other networks. I worry that BHM is slowly fading into the realm of things that no longer matter along with home cooked meals, dial up internet, and celebrities without sex tapes. The question often arises about who is responsible for keeping African American history relevant and the answer changes depending on who you ask. I say, WE (Carter G. Woodson) started Black History Month and it is our responsibility to ensure that our achievements do not go unnoticed.


All I want is a nice black history program with speeches little ones fumble over, a little spoken word (not just Phenomenal Woman), entertaining gospel selections and an oversized helping of brother & sisterhood.

While HUSL Today has done its best to highlight African Americans and their amazing achievements, I wonder if this is enough.

Can I get more than fried chicken, collard greens, candied yams and mac n cheese added to the cafeteria menus (I see you ABC) "in honor of black history month?" I like baked ziti too!

Am I asking too much?? Is it because I'm no longer in the south or is it widespread? What has black history month been like for you? Did YOU do anything special to honor past and present African American history makers? Will things go back to BAU March 1?

Go ahead, Tell us how you REALLy feel about Black History Month in 2010. Share your thoughts amongst friends!

You're amongst friends, consider the comment section your platform...

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring