Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Forever 21 Launches Maternity Line in States With High Teen Pregnancy Rates. Genius marketing or coincidence?



Forever 21 has launched a maternity line. The franchise that appeals to women of all ages has launched the line in five states in the US: California, Texas, Arizona, Utah and Alaska. Three of those five states – Arizona, California, and Texas – are on the list of states with the highest percentages of teen pregnancy in the country.

Coincidence? Or brilliant marketing to their existing customer base (young women) while also addressing the fact that some of them are going to need clothes with slightly more room in the midsection??

The new maternity line is called "Love 21", and many people are criticizing the trendy store for teens for sending the wrong message. Although the line wont be available in all stores, online the store offers "tips on how to stay stylish when you're expecting."



How did the company respond?

The company's vice president says more than 80% of their customers are over 18, and the "Love 21" line is aimed at those older customers. The company also says it is just a coincidence that the maternity line was launched in three of the states with the highest teen pregnancies in the nation.

Where do we draw the line? Is there still a line to draw?

Considering how the media is starting to pay more attention to teen pregnancy rates with reality shows like 16 & Pregnant, Teen Mom & Dad Camp I'm a bit worried about how making the clothes easier to access will influence the younger generation. While I praise the retailer for their efforts to address a growing issue, I'm afraid they may become part of the problem. You dont have to tell me, YES I know it is not Forever 21's responsibility to prevent teen pregnancy. YES I know they are a business with the goal to maximize profits. YES I know there is a demand for it and basic economics applies. I worry about the things young girls resort to for attention and I think making things like this seem glamorous will exasperate the situation. I wonder hwo many teen moms have submitted their tapes to mtv for a feature on 16 & Pregnant? I wonder how many pregnancy pacts have been inspired by the Lifetime movie? I remember when I was in high school (which was less than a decade ago) it was still taboo to become a teen mom. I'm not so sure that is the case now.

You be the judge...

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring