Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, July 09, 2010

The story of Oscar Grant


On New Year's Day 2009, then BART police officer Johannes Mehserle shot the 22-year-old Oscar Grant in the back while he lay face down on a BART train platform. Grant, who had his arms behind his back when Mehserle shot him, was unarmed. For those of you with strong stomachs, judge for yourself and check the video here. Warning: graphic viewer discretion is advised.


The three-week murder trial ended last week and the verdict came quickly; the jury deliberated a total of nine hours.  On July 8th, 2010, Mehserle was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for shooting and killing Oscar Grant. Mehserle was led away from the courtroom in handcuffs and is now in custody. His sentencing is expected on Friday, August 6th. Involuntary manslaughter can carry 2, 4, and 6 years, with 10 added for a gun enhancement.

 "We recognize as African Americans, the system is rarely fair when police officers are involved in the shooting of African American males," the Grant family's attorney, John Burris said. "This is another example of that."

In Oakland, thousands of people took over the intersection of Broadway and 14th for a protest which started shortly after the 4PM verdict and lasted until late in the evening. Early in the evening, a woman was injured when a police vehicle backed into her. Later, several windows were broken, a Foot Locker was broken into, and several small fires were set in trashcans. Over fifty protesters were arrested.

In a press conference outside the Los Angeles courthouse immediately after the verdict was announced, Oscar Grant's family spoke out about the verdict, calling it a "great disappointment." Oscar Grant's mother Wanda Johnson said ex-BART cop Johannes Mehserle's conviction of involuntary manslaughter felt like being "slapped in the face by a system that has denied us true justice."

Whats not shocking (but should be) is that people are blaming the victim. To those people I say you are no different from people who say "well if she wasnt dressed in that revealing outfit she would never have gotten raped."

Allow me to jump on my soapbox for a minute...
 
I would love to raise my fist and yell black power
I would love to scream "no justice, no peace"
I would love to say "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere."
Instead, I lower my fist and zip my mouth shut. Why? I refuse to focus my energy on a system that doesnt listen. I understand the power of one voice but lets be honest what will it change? A racist system cannot survive but for racist people driving it.
 
There are HARD CORE ignorant people in this world. Listen, there are people who could not care less whether you live or die. Facts of life. You can talk until you are blue in the face about the power of loving everyone and you will have done just that-talk until you are blue in the face (no Avatar).  I grew up in the south and there are still areas of the south (I speak from experience) where I wouldn't dare drive through at night alone for fear of such ignorance. I have gone to Texaco gas stations and been looked over. I have gone to "their" businesses and I was looked over as if my money isnt still green. I have witnessed innocent people getting clubbed by police officers. I'm not talking about complete strangers, I'm talking about people I know and love.
 
Will my voice really change a hard core racist's mind? Will it convince him not to get the confederate flag and hang it outside of his home? Will I finally stop hearing racist people call me a N*gger? Will it convince them not to hate me because of my ancestry? If I teach them about loving everyone will we build a campfire and sing kumbaya? My frustration goes far beyond that. How many people have to die before real change occurs? How ignorant is it for you to hate someone because of the color of their skin when you dont even know what their voice sounds like? How ignorant is it to hate anyone for any reason? When you have hatred for someone it is a burden you carry on your shoulders. I cant understand why someone would willingly carry that hatred.  
 
How much did Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson REALLY change when they demanded Don Imus' job? Racism exists! It is not as subtle as people believe. You would think in 2010 I wouldnt get nervous to pull over for a cop knowing I did nothing wrong.  I grew up in a terrible neighborhood that now suffers from 40% unemployment. I know of families who have suffered at the hands of police brutality. It once took the police 45 minutes to respond to a distress call. While I would never speak ill of all police officers I will be the first to admit that our justice system has holes. Unfortunately, those holes look more like swiss cheese the closer you get to the inner city.
 
This confirms so many of my beliefs about our country and about my people. I know this script too well. The victim is blamed way too often. The perps are given a lighter sentence way too often. The public outcry dies down way too soon. As someone working towards being on the "right" side of the law, situations like this really break my heart.
 
Hatred takes too much energy.
 
...and so it was written.

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring