Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, June 04, 2010

Music Break:"Crank dat"

Its day 4 of African American Music Appreciation Month and I am loving every minute of it! As promised, we are highlighting all forms of African American music. Let's take a visit to 2007 with the infamous Soulja Boy as our tour guide.





Catchy lyrics.
An easy dance with instructional videos.
It had a large hand in changing music as I used to know it.


Fast facts:
The video ranked at #1 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2007 countdown.
The video has over 75 million views on Youtube.
In 2009 it was named the 23rd most successful song of the 2000s, on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Decade.
"Crank That (Soulja Boy)" has so far sold over 3,000,000 digital downloads in the United States to date, becoming the third highest-downloaded song in the United States.



You may be thinking "why in hayle did she post this?" As much as I despise this kind of music, I have to give the artists props for producing insanely successful records. The music industry has shifted its focus album sales to itunes/ringtone sales. The audience has changed. I realize that by posting this I am furthering their reach but younger people think *this* is music and HUSL Today loves the kids. I'll return to schooling them about real music shortly.

Forgive me.

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring