Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Out the door...inspirational quote to start your day

Good morning all! Its time for today's out the door quote:

“Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did.”
-Sarah Caldwell 
Have you ever been in a situation where you learned something totally weird and you wondered whether you would ever use it? Lets say the moment where you connect the question to the answer is the "aha moment."

 I had an aha moment about three weeks ago. Rewind to June 2006 I left my headlights on in my car while I was at work (why must the gadgets be so tricky?). It was 5 pm on a Friday afternoon and I planned to visit the beach for a romantic dinner. I skipped to my car but was quickly disappointed when my car made a clicking noise instead of the usual vroom vroom when I turned the key. After hearing the sound, my female co-worker told me I needed to jump start my car. Another co-worker gave me the jump I needed (thanks John)  but not before he took the time to show me how to do it myself. I was reluctant to learn because the Florida humidity always did a number on my tresses and I did not want to spend more time in the heat than was necessary. Note that my father was the first to show me, but I was only pretending to pay attention because I thought I could always depend on AAA (dont judge me). My co-worker dragged me from my driver's seat and showed me how to open my hood and connect the cables. 5 minutes and a frizzy mane later, I learned.  Fastforward to May 2010 a friend of a friend found herself at home in a situation similar to the one I encountered in 2006. Picture 6 women in 4-5 inch heels & tight dresses. After 3 minutes of waiting around, I discovered they had jumper cables but couldn't figure out how to get the hood open. *Insert superhero theme here* I leaned over and opened the hood exactly the way my co-worker had showed me. After the hood was open I gave them brief instructions on how to execute the jump and all was right with the world. *insert sarcastic applause*
“Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”
-Anton Chekhov
Aside from Geometry, I appreciate all of the knowledge I have accumulated over the years. Each time I have an "aha" moment I'm more motivated to take advantage of every situation I'm placed in. I encourage you all to do the same. You never know why someone is placed in your path at a certain time and you may not know until four years later. Take advantage of every encounter because even a fool can teach you something. 

Hit the ground running!!!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring