Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Thursday, May 06, 2010

Answers to age old questions

I think its safe to assume we've all been approached with questions like: 

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he followed his wife to the other side.
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? A lot.
Will I ever use my JD? I want my JD, its law school that I think is the joke & wonder if its necessary.
Will lace front weaves ever go away? Chances are so slim they could hula hoop with a cheerio. 
What do you plan on doing with your major? Taking over the world.


What do you want to be when you grow up?


Ever since Santa Claus was a little boy, the conversation has gone something like this:

Adult: Hey little girl, you're such a beautiful spirit what do you want to be when you grow up?
Me: I want to become a top civil right's attorney and then a Supreme Court Justice
Adult: Oh wow! Thats great. What makes you want to do that?
Me: Because lawyers are smart, and I'm smart and because I want to help people. I also want a husband, a big house and two children.

The younger version of me witnessed injustice so often that I've always felt compelled to do something about it. I dont stand for bullies or people that exploit the weak. I believe in equality for all people although I realize we live in a society of oppressed people. I believe every child should be given an equal opportunity to fulfill their answer to this age old question. Stick with me I have a point.
 
Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born. - Helen Keller

Although I have changed the words I use to answer the question, my answer has not changed in over 20 years. In my down time I've wondered if I were meant to be a teacher or a motivational speaker. I wonder if I work to become the best lawyer because its what I've been saying for 20 years or if it is something I genuinely hope to become. Is it the fear or failure or the fear of disappointment? Either way, I am determined to fight the good fight.  I still want to advocate for the rights of others, except now I understand that I do not have to become a lawyer to make a difference. I can be a mentor. I can start an after school program. I can open my own school. 

Read the rest after the jump. 



When I tell my friends that I've always wanted to become a lawyer they are skeptical. I've come across people who decided to enroll in law school in January of their senior year of undergrad. Their decision to enroll came when someone asked "What are you gonna do after you graduate?" They took the February LSAT and viola! welcome to the best 3 years of your life. My journey began with people asking me "What do you want to be when you grow up?" My path was not spontaneous. This is chess, not checkers. I made calculated choices as I worked to make my answer come to fruition.

I chose my major based on what most people who were admitted to law school chose. I forged my path with tunnel vision. I focused my attention on things people who were admitted to law school focused on. Further, when I settled on my "dream school" I set my sights on graduating with a GPA and LSAT score a bit higher than the mean.

My approach was very driven, yet I consider myself blessed because my efforts were rewarded. I still remember the day I received my acceptance letter. I felt a strong sense of accomplishment. I felt like my hard work was paying off. I was one step closer to making my answer true.


In my heart of hearts, I dont think I will ever grow up. I am mature, I am responsible and I hold myself accountable for my actions. That is about as adult as I'm going to get. My inner child and I are very good friends. You're only as old as you allow yourself to feel and right now I feel 8. I still get excited when my family wants to visit a theme park. I still enjoy ice cream cones on a hot day or even in the middle of a snow storm. I love freshly baked cookies. I appreciate the beauty of a sunny day. I laugh hysterically on a regular basis. A trip to the beach makes everything better. My point is, I will get older but I hope to stay young by tapping into my inner child on a regular basis. Don't get caught up in the hype that tells you to be serious all the time.

Live a little. 
Be spontaneous.
Do a cartwheel.


I share my story to encourage you to hold on to your childhood dreams. They are the things you wanted to become because you were inspired. They came before you had to worry about bills, credit scores and starting salaries. 
They are pure. 
          They are genuine. 
                  They should be a source of strength.

If you ever feel discouraged, think about what it would be like to be a kid again. If your only care in the world is how long you will be able to ride your bike with friends before it rains. Think about what made THAT version of you happy. Stick with that feeling.




So ladies and gents, did you become what you wanted to be when you were younger? Share your stories as I have shared mine. Remember you may choose to remain anonymous!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring