Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Monday, June 06, 2011

African American Music Appreciation Month 2011

African American Music Appreciation Month continues with...

Sir Mix-A-Lot
"I like big butts and I can not lie..."
At a time when flat butts were IN and curves were OUT, Sir Mix a Lot used his blatantly sexual references to praise black women for having curves. The single  caused uproar in the music business and was even banned on MTV for its objectionable lyrics about the female anatomy. The song propelled Sir Mix-A-Lot to number one on the Billboard charts in 1992 and earned him a Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance.



For those who are not familiar with the phrase, it is urban slang used to express an enthusiastic approval about a woman's derrière. For my PC people, you can rephrase it as "She has a nice backside." The opening convo between the two 2520s is STILL funny to me because I imagine thats how people unconsciously react to seeing a chick with a big backpack.
"Oh my gawd BECKY! Look at her butt! *grunt* It is sooo big! She looks like one of those "rap guys" girlfriends. Who understands those rap guys? They only talk to her because she looks like a total prostitute. I mean her butt its just so big! I can't believe its so round! Its out there!" 
The song has been parodied by different comedians including "Baby Got Snacks," Jamie Foxx's parody on In Living Color.

Shoutout to all of my sistas with the "LA Face & Oakland booty" and the men who love them!

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring