Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Morning Inspiration

Good morning folks!!! 
HI! I'm a beautiful sunrise, what's your name? 


Today's Quote: A thousand words will not leave so deep an impression as one deed. -Henrik Ibsen 

True Story: At one of my old jobs,  my boss decided to quit out of the blue. At the time, I was the most knowledgeable about the inner workings of our office so the pressure to keep everything in order fell on my shoulders until the company found a new supervisor. On the supervisor's first day on the job, she walked right past me and my coworkers and into the back office without so much as an introduction. We were stumped as we thought she must have been lost but her boldness in going to the back office gave it away. She literally came within a foot of me and did not utter so much as a "good morning I'm your new supervisor." She sat in her office for 3 hours without so much as a peek and left without saying 2 words to any of us. I hope I'm not the only one who finds that weird. I swore she was on something but I digress.


What the heck does this have to do with the price of tea in Scotland? Nothing. Keep reading, I have a point. Yellow #2. 


3 days later was her official first day of work. She came back chipper as all hell and introduced herself to everyone. Truth is, by that point I had already formed my impression of her and it stuck with me. She was bright and cheery but I thought it was fake and Raine doesn't like fake. Why did I think this? Because if you are a genuinely happy person, you wouldn't walk past a dozen people at 10am in an office setting without at least saying good morning. Further, you wouldn't sit in the back of said office and then exit just as awkwardly as you entered. Maybe some of my non-southern readers would disagree but I can tell you those things don't typically happen in the south. We speak. We hug. If you make eye contact with someone, you smile to acknowledge them or you speak. If you walk into an office filled with people who are clearly in your path you should speak to them. I am not saying you have to ask how their dog is doing or even give two eggrolls about how their live is going but a simple "good morning" is respectable. Keep in mind, if your good morning doesn't seem genuine you might be labelled a grouch but you win some and you lose some. 


Moving on...


While I accessed my reaction to her, I began to truly appreciate the value of making good first impressions. I also had to reflect on myself and try to see her initial actions in the most favorable light possible. I finally understood the importance of first impression and I also understood how difficult it can be for people to forget them. Of course people told me about first impressions but I'm a hands on learner. I worked in that office for 5 months after that and for those 5 months I struggled with changing my impression of her to no avail. I could not get over her and I thought her "cheery supervisor" act was a ploy. Then again, I think everyone is a suspect. *ding ding*


This is the part where I start repeating cliché arse quotes: Always make your first impression your best impression. Put your best foot forward in everything you do. NEVER settle for anything less than the best. 


Point is, don't be mean to people you know you have to work with. Matter of fact, just don't be mean. If you are having a terrible day, you are not the only one who has ever had one. Acknowledge your funky feeling and do your best to get thru your day. Avoid any co-workers who have the potential to set you off and get your tasks completed. Its really that simple. Don't make it complicated. Its EASY! 


Spread Love! 


Today's Song Choice: Beyonce-Halo

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring