Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, June 24, 2011

Morning Inspiration

GREAT morning folks! Let me be the first to say THANK GAWD ITS FRIIII-DAY! This was one hell of a long week and I am glad its over!

Now its time to reflect on the week and brainstorm how you can make next week even better with today's quote. 




"Never take a person's dignity: it is worth everything to them and nothing to you." -Frank Barron


Before I get started on my usual rant, I'm gonna break from my usual routine and share a short story I came across when I was randomly surfing the innanets. 


During my second month of nursing school, our professor gave us a pop quiz. I was a conscientious student and had breezed through the questions, until I read the last one: 'What is the first name of the woman who cleans the school?" Surely this was some kind of joke. I had seen the cleaning woman several times. She was tall, dark-haired and in her 50s, but how would I know her name? I handed in my paper, leaving the last question blank. Before class ended, one student asked if the last question would count toward our quiz grade. Absolutely, said the professor. "In your careers you will meet many people. All are significant. They deserve your attention and care, even if all you do is smile and say hello". I've never forgotten that lesson. I also learned her name was Dorothy.


This story reminds me of the Judge who spoke at our pinning ceremony. I will never forget how he discussed making the most money representing his school's janitor in a personal injury case. He built a relationship with her by genuinely speaking and being interested in how she was doing. He did not do this with an ulterior motive, he genuinely grew to care about her.  He watched and corrected his colleagues who tried to treat her as a second class citizen. He was raised by his grandmother who always taught him to respect people regardless of the occupation. Respect everyone. Treat your waiters and waitresses, garbage collectors, retail salespeople and dog walkers with dignity and respect. You may be riding high and mighty now, but no man is an island. You can not succeed by yourself. The waiter you were mean to might just be the next CEO of a company you might need donations from in the future. That salesperson you were rude to might become the next Johnnie Cochran. Take care to learn and pronounce someone's name.


Today's Song Choice-Drake Trust Issues. 

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring