Get Familiar with Talented Generation

Friday, June 10, 2011

African American Music Appreciation Month 2011

African American Music appreciation Month continues with...
Go-Go


Unless you have lived in or around the DC, Maryland and Virginia area you may not be familiar with Go-go music. Go-go is a sub-genre associated with funk that originated in the Washington, D.C. area during the mid- 1960's to late-1970s. Go-go is a blend of funk, rhythm and blues, and early hip-hop. 


A great number of bands contributed to the early evolution of the genre, but The Young Senators, Black Heat, and notably singer-guitarist Chuck Brown and The Soul Searchers are credited with having developed most of the hallmarks of the style.


Listen to the Godfather of Go-Go sing one of his popular songs, Hoochie Coochie





There is little familiarity with Go-Go outside of the DMV area. After living in the District for roughly 3 years I can't say that the music has grown on me but I have grown to appreciate its significance to the DMV area. I haven't had the pleasure of going to a Go-Go yet but I plan on changing that in the coming weeks. Look for my post on that experience as I'm sure it will be interesting.

No comments:

Sharing IS Caring